Marriage for New Zealand citizens
Dear citizens of New Zealand, here you can find the information in case you would like to get married in the Czech Republic.
The application for a marriage licence, as well as specific details about the procedure may be obtained from www.inter-wedding.com. The application is then to be submitted to this City Hall which is authorized to keep vital statistics records, or to a local chuch, some time before the planned marriage (approximately 14 days before).
The applicant is required to present the following documents to the local Czech local authorities:
- Birth Certificate identifying the applicant's birth date and place of birth, their name and surname, as well as documentation concerning their parents (e.g. an abstract of the register of births).
- A document (e.g. passport) certifying the citizenship of the applicant.
- If widowed, the Death Certificate of the spouse.
- If divorced, the Decree Absolute granted by the court.
- Legal document certifying the applicant's capacity to marry and certifying that no legal impediment exists, (i.e. that s/he is free to marry.) These documents are required in order to guarantee that the marriage entered into in the Czech Republic will also be recognized by law in the applicant's native country. In New Zealand the document is "Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage" that is issued by "Births, Deaths and Marriages". It is also very helpful to obtain from the same office a "Certificate of Search" that confirms the marital status (single, divorced, widowed). Please note that CNI is valid for three months from the date of issue.
- Document certifying that the applicant stays legally on the territory of the Czech Republic. This document is issued by the appropriate immigration authorities (Cizinecka policie).
All the documents must be certified by the Department of Internal Affairs (New Zealand) with the Apostille and translated into the Czech language. All the translations can be done by the official interpreters which cooperate with our company.
Each of the City Halls in the Czech Republic may have specific requirements for foreign citizens wishing to enter into marriage in the Czech Republic. The Consulate of the Czech Republic in Sydney therefore strongly recommends the couple to contact the local City Hall to ascertain if anything else is required.